betfair-mobile

Betfair launches native Android app

Betfair has launched a new native app for Android handsets, aimed at improving the experience of Android users who at present mainly access the website through their browser.

While Betfair reported a 122% increase in bets and a 97% increase in revenue from the mobile channel last year, Android-based handsets accounted for just 4% of native app usage, compared to 14% for Blackberry, with iPhone leading the way with 50%.

Betfair’s for Android v2.0 is thus aimed at addressing an area “where we haven’t been as successful as we would have liked”, according to Antonio Flores, principal product manager for mobile. Developed by the operator’s Silicon Valley development centre, the app builds  on the company’s successful iPhone and iPad apps by introducing a more responsive look and feel, and includes a superior home screen, the operator’s Cash Out tool, price graphs and market view enhancements.

The app can be downloaded by Android users following the instructions on the Betfair site on their web browser. While Flores admitted the company still had “challenges with the distribution issue,” in reference to Google not yet allowing real-money gamblng apps in its Play app store, Flores said the company remained “hopeful that we might be able to get it into a few stores soon.”

According to data released to coincide with the operator’s recent FY results announcement, native mobile apps accounted for 66% of bets placed at Betfair, with the remaining 34% being placed via mobile browsers.

Mobile bets as a whole were up 122% to 44 million and revenue up 97% to £22.7m in the last year. In April alone, almost 50% of Betfair’s UK and Ireland active customers were using mobile devices, placing over six million bets via phones and tablets.

The operator also released its first-ever mobile casino games in March of this year, with roulette, blackjack, video poker and Gold Rally being made available through the Touch browser-based platform.


Casino Choice journalist

Recent Articles

Don't be shy, share your view here...